Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What's a Copenwagon?

It's no surprise to once again begin my blog by stating that there is a lot that has happened since I last posted. The arrival of a new month once again reminded me of the actual length of time I have been here, which is in stark contrast to the amount of time I feel like I have been in Oslo. I really feel like I have been here for several months, but this is partially due to the way that everyone becomes great friends in one-hot-minute. The biggest event that has occurred since I last posted was the utterly amazing, and epic weekend, that was "The Copenhagen Cruise". However, there are some other events that are definitely worth sharing before I get into that.

One of these events was enjoying the festivities of Australia Day. I know Ashleigh will be delighted about this mention because I promised her that I would put her in my last blog post, and promptly forgot.  She also played mom today when helping me with my laundry, which was fantastic (The Mitchell men are terrible with laundry, it's just a fact). Australia Day was sweet mainly because everyone got together to celebrate another culture, which I must say primarily involved having a beverage or two, and the eating of delicious (and often wonderfully sugary) treats. The Hot 100 from Australia was playing in the background courtesy of Ellen, and I must say that it was pretty fantastic. The picture just to the right should give you some indication about a) The fun we were having b) The fact that we formed our own choir c) In about 5 minutes from that moment we ate more hot dogs than all of New York. Great day, great friends, and even greater hot dogs.

And now for the main event. This cruise weekend is under strict consideration as the potential best weekend of my life. It all begins at 3pm on Friday with a lot of excitement.  We all met at Oslo Central Station, and the rest is history. This is all of us (left) in front of the glorious "Crown of Scandinavia". It's difficult to see, but I am lying down right in the front with snow and all. I deemed the boat the "Copenwagon to Copenhagen" after a dream where I awoke with the phrase on the tip of my tongue. It seemed to catch on pretty well actually. The dancing was awesome (both nights), and I threw in a little picture if anyone is curious. I think this may have been in the middle of "Y.M.C.A," which is surprisingly fun to dance to every time, or I guess not surprising at all. Needless to say, it gives me cause to mention that there were A LOT of international students on the trip. I would have to estimate that at least 100 international students went on that trip, and that ship was ours for the taking.

A little worse for wear, but still enthused, we all arrived in Copenhagen in one piece. The first course of action when arriving in Denmark was to get some coffee, and of course a danish.
I am not going to lie, the Danish danishes (well, that was fun to say) were absolutely fantastic. There were literally restaurants and little shops everywhere. In comparison to Oslo, it was seemingly less expensive and more expansive. My experience with the people in Denmark was also really positive, and it began when Neil, Grant, Daniel and I got a free yogurt (Pear and Banana - random and delightful) with our danishes. We stopped in front the statue above for a shot of just a small portion of us. Coffee in hand, smile full blast, and ready for a day in Copenhagen.

I was absolutely blown away by the city. The buildings were beautiful, and there was an interesting dichotomy between the "old" and "new" infrastructure of the city. An example might be a smokestack beside a wind turbine, or the old palace, which is directly parallel to the modern opera house. Denmark seems to be a country that is proud of its heritage, but still looking to the future. We eventually found ourselves wandering down a narrow street and had an interesting idea for a picture. The picture is of eight of us taking up the width of the entire street. It is an attestation to the way in which Copenhagen is really quite compact, like Oslo, but it maintains its open and comfortable feeling. We eventually made our way over to Christinia, which is really a must see in Copenhagen. I have never seen anything like it before. It is a place that is covered in incredible graffiti, and has a distinct feeling apart from Copenhagen. I really couldn't have been more impressed with the city in general. There is no question that I will be returning to Copenhagen over my summer travels, and will be sure to rent a bike, which seems to be a real commonality in Copenhagen. In reference to the diversity of culture I spoke about before, I will end my blog with two distinctly different scenes that occur only about 10 minutes away from each other, but exemplify the wide array of feeling and culture in Copenhagen.

1 comment:

  1. Chris, looks like you are having such a great time. Copenhagen looks amazing. Just wanted to say it is true, the Mitchell men are awful at laundry. 24 and I still can't do it haha. Enjoy!
    - Dave

    ReplyDelete