Monday, January 11, 2010

We Found A Troll

So this is the first blog in what I hope will be a long list of my trials and tribulations around the world. I feel stupid for not starting this before, but I suppose now is as good a time as any. I owe some credit to one of my housemates up here in Oslo, Jon, for getting me rolling on the whole blog idea. It definitely seems to be a good way to keep in touch and share my adventures with my friends. Plus then Skype can take a little breather.

Arriving in Oslo I was filled with all kinds of excitement, and of course some nerves. It was a great relief to get here after talking about it for so long back in Toronto. I also noticed that the room I first entered at the airport smelled a lot like a log cabin which was quite random, but made me feel at home for some apparent reason.

I found my way from the airport pretty easily which gave me some confidence in a place where I knew nobody and nothing. Finally I arrived at the residence where I was dealt a ticket to wait in what seemed like an endless line. Those of you who know me have figured out that I don't do well in the whole line thing, and will usually find a way around it. That's exactly what I did when I ended up squeezing up about ten spots by rooming with two people who I met in the lobby who were ahead of me. It turned out to be a great decision because Lotte (Netherlands) and Jon (USA) seem to be some pretty fantastic people.

So what have I noticed about Oslo so far?

1) It is ridiculously cold and that's saying something coming from a Canadian.

2) It is damn expensive and you have to find creative ways to live cheaply.

3) The transit system in actually fantastic whether you choose to pay or not.

4) Big Mac Combos in Oslo cost about 100 Kroners, which is almost 20 dollars. As I stated before, Oslo is expensive

5) Despite the constant feeling that I am a human ice cube, Oslo is just beautiful, and I am glad I chose to come here.

Obviously I haven't been a hermit in my room since I got here. We went out for a little taste of Oslo last night with my one of my other housemates, Aurel, who has already been here for a term. It was definitely a solid time, and I met some great people from Australia, Germany and of course Canada.

These are just a few of their lovely faces. This is the ramp on the way down to the subway which is lit up like a disco ball. Norwegians...love...colour.
John and I also headed downtown today and went to Oslo Central Station, which is an astonishing building. I was really blown away by all the images on the outside of the building that give it so much life.

You won't be able to read it, but the writing behind me on that womanly figure reads..."Break the Spell...If you believe in fairies, clap your hands" Amazing.enough said.

We kept on wandering through the streets and then fell upon the greatest thing in all of Norway...
Yes it is exactly what you think...It is a troll/viking creature that is holding a sword. Needless to say, John and I were ecstatic, and got someone to snap a picture of us.

So far my journey has been great, and as it gets greater I'll keep you posted. Who knows maybe I'll run into a living troll in the mountains somewhere...If I do, John and I will get someone to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment